Saturday, June 9, 2012

Filling Holes - Schenley Park


            I have given my self deadline in which to have my book ready.  Whether it is possible or not remains to be seen.  I am shooting for the end of August.  Three months may not be enough time but if I am going to ever finish my book a tighter deadline is demanded.   I have always worked better under tight deadlines than the when ever you finish is fine type.  This is the single largest reason, I think, that people don’t finish their masters and PhD degrees.  But I digress.  I have described the current state of my book as a block of Swiss cheese.  It is recognizable as cheese but full of holes.  I do have a recognizable storey but the historical detail I am striving for is mostly missing.
            In an effort to fill in some of the larges holes I spend a good part of my time researching the parks in Pittsburgh.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the beautiful green spaces Pittsburghers now take for granted were just becoming a reality in the 1890’s.  The view of Pittsburgh in this period was once famously described as looking like hell with the lid off.  The fires from the Iron, Steel and Glass factories put so much smoke into the air that it was not always possible to see probably one of the most famous views of the city looking down on the Golden Triangle and North shore area from Mt. Washington.  The creation of Green Space, much like Central Park in New York, was intended to give the residents of Pgh a peaceful place to get away from the factories and crowded inner city.  It is highly unlikely that the people who would have benefited the most from these garden spots actually had time for such frivolous activates.  Most mills ran 24 hours a day and many other supporting businesses kept similar hours. 
            Never the less the parks created at this time remain.  Probably Pittsburgh’s largest Schenley Park was a gift to the city from Mary Schenley.  Although she lived primarily in England, having defied her father and created an international scandal at the age of 15 when she ran away and married 43 year old Captain Edward Wyndham Harrington Schenley.  She never forgot her home and in 1889 she gave the city 300 acres and sold the city a further 120 acres at a greatly reduced rate.  Schenley Park started out mostly as a baron space.  Today it is so completely filled with trees and wide open grassy spaces that it is difficult to imagine the area as anything other than the lush green space it appears today.  William Falconer the fist landscaper supervised the planting of thousands of trees and probably millions of flowers.  Given the natural feel of the park it is hard to see his original design but it must have been a stunning effort to transform the completely baron land he started with.  One can almost see the middle and upper class families enjoying the space for taking the air and holding picnics.  The park even hosted the city’s first automobile race.  The park returns to that heritage in mid July when it hosts the Pittsburgh Vantage Grand prix.  The park is also home to the Phipps Conservatory as well as the Main Carnegie Library. 
            I plan to spend next week researching the neighborhoods of Pgh.  More to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment